Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    HF drivers and the horns from a pair of 617 duplex. I have never seen a pair taken apart. I have been curious if Altec took a basically off the shelf pair of 802/806 and bonded them on to the 416/515 to make a duplex. I think the 617 is something similar to my 616. 806 HF with something besides 416 as the LF

    2 Vintage Altec 617 8A Horns Tweeter Pair with Crossovers | eBay

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    i have a pair of these. http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf.

    here's a thread about the drivers.
    Altec Lansing 9864A Duplex System - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

    if you put one of these sets and a 515G in an 817 i wonder how it would work out
    Sonic Barbarian

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    The 617 HF wasn't a feather in Altec's cap. It was a University T50. I'm working on ways to improve that as it kinda sucks, and impossible to fix.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    I just didn't know you could take one of these apart like that. I figured you would destroy the drivers getting them apart. Maybe its different with the T50. I know on my 604G and 616 duplexes, the HF driver almost looks like it molded on. Its probably just the paint. I see no way of taking them apart. Probably if the cone wasn't there the screws would be accessible.

    How are the individual 515 and 802 constructed versus a 604. Is the LF section of a 604G significantly different than a 515b? I'm just wondering if Altec took basically finished drivers and built the 604/605, or if early in the production process there were some changes made to make them fit

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    i probly should have read this thread a little closer before i posted. big difference between a 617 and 817
    Sonic Barbarian

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: I didn't know you could take a duplex apart like this:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    i probly should have read this thread a little closer before i posted. big difference between a 617 and 817

    Nah its all good. I would love to hear one of the Stanley Screamer 817's with the dual 604 drivers and the large format horn on top. I just think how much money you would have in drivers in one of those nowadays

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.